View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 14, 2003, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluefoot
Regarding some of the latest posts in this thread, are you saying that as PU's we should never move a bat during a play? When possible and when it does not affect me getting into position to see/make calls, I have been moving it out of the way of possible baserunners coming home. So are you saying that it's better to avoid a possible lawsuit against me by not touching the bat at all, and leaving it wherever it is, even if it's right next to home plate and the runner may slide into it, trip over it, etc.? I've never thought about it that way. I've always thought about getting the bat out of the way for a possible play.
I kick the bat out of the way also.

Whiskers quote:
He's right. You are not the bat boy just as you are not
the grounds keeper....

If they are going to sue you for moving it... they are just as likely, if not more likely to sue you, because there is more opportunity for interaction, for leaving it there.

Once the ball is hit I don't take my eyes off the play and I very, very rarely bend over to pick-up a bat. I gently kick it away from the plate area, where a play is about to potentially occur. I do this first thing after a hit when I think a play may be coming to home. If I don't have opportunity (say a runner is coming in from 3rd without potential for a play, I will tell him/her as they run by to "Watch out for the bat." They generally return to pick it up after touching home.

I am the only one on the field getting paid. If anyone gets sued for safety issues, it will likely be me. I feel moving the bat out of the runner's way is an act of creating a safe area for running, sliding, tagging, etc.

I am not a batboy, but I definitely don't want anyone to get hurt during my game. I move the bat when I can.

No offense to anyone and despite some of the comments to the contrary, I higly recommend that you also create a safe zone around the plate, when you can, by kicking the bat 5-10 feet away from the foul line.

I honestly don't think you are likely to be sued for leaving it or for moving it. As someone stated, it is not your responsibility. And I wouldn't give an iota of credence to the idea that you will be sued because you moved it. To each their own.