View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 13, 2016, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
I really need to work on my communication skills this season. I told myself that last year, and didn't accomplish it. In our state the coaches evaluate you, so just ignoring them is not a recipe for good evals and post-season assignments. I would love to hear your serious quick hitters to calm a coach down, or any other suggestions to effectively communicate with coaches.

One I've been told and that I'm going to implement is to refer to your angle, either "I had a good angle on that one coach, he got him on the arm", or when defending a partner's call say "he had a good angle coach".
I wouldn't rate my ability to communicate with coaches on my one-liners. In general they aren't going to have any positive impact on the flow of the game

Talking to coaches about a partner's call is asking for way more trouble than it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
I'm going to disagree because IME that train of thought is connected to the idea that the only time coaches want to talk is when they have a specific complaint or incident that are reacting to.
Every official knows that coaches love the sound of their voice. The point of not seeking out coaches isn't because we don't think they want to talk.