View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

I'll take the bait. Obviously, the runner has to touch 2B and then 1B to tag up properly. To me, merely touching 2B afterward on his way to 3B wouldn't qualify. You can't accomplish two touches in one.

I assume the question is whether or not, with the ball now in DBT, returning to 1B after missing 2B qualifies as a type of reverse "advance to the next base" that would prevent the runner from returning (counter-clockwise) to touch 2B and then returning (clockwise) to touch 1B. (All this before he takes his 2-base award counter-clockwise!)

You could certainly argue it either way. If this ever happened, I guess I'd not consider his touch of 1B as disqualifying him from legally returning to touch 2B and then 1B and then 2B and then 3B. Reason? I would consider the "next" base always to be in the counter-clockwise direction. And if I used that terminology in citing the supposed rule, the players would probably believe me.

But I wouldn't say that his touching 2B on the award also fulfilled his obligation to correct his first miss properly.

Just as you can't miss 1B, 2B, 3B and home, and then run around the bases (counter-clockwise) again to touch all the bases. You would have to return clockwise. But what if then (as the ball is rolling down a slope 700 feet away) you missed home, 3B, and 2B on the return and then advanced to touch the bases in the correct order?

I give up.

Rich, did you intend to post your response or the Bordick thread?

[Edited by greymule on Aug 13th, 2003 at 09:36 PM]