View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 03, 2016, 01:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
We were instructed to do this in the State finals game last year....and we have since kept up the practice. Correct me if I'm wrong, but NCAA & NFL does the same...(?)
Of course they do.

The NCAA it's part of the manual to start most series on a yard line. There are exceptions, but mainly they prove the rule.

I can tell (pretty much) immediately how a crew works just by how the ball is spotted after a change of possession.

One thing I don't do anymore either as an R -- I don't help much on punts flying out of bounds. I have to stay with the punter to watch for roughing/running into -- and by the time I can turn, the ball's already long out of bounds. But since it's expected I'll turn and put my hand up and my BJ or wing will slow near a 5 yard line and that's my signal to drop my hand.

Another key thing -- my LJ is the de facto determiner whether the LTG has been reached or not. He decides if it's a first down or short and the only time we're measuring is when he tells me we need to measure. I'm not running up to the ball to look and then running back 15 yds behind the LOS to blow in the RFP. I stay 15 deep and we keep the pace moving. The two times we measured this year? We had a sub working who wouldn't communicate with me well enough.