View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 03, 2016, 10:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
This.

I'm putting the ball on the closest yard line after a COP after a failure to reach the line-to-gain on 4th down unless a) we're inside the 10 or b) we had to measure to see if the line-to-gain was reached.

I've also been known to move the ball to the opposite side of the yard line after a failed 4th down play (if the previous spot was touching the back of the 30-yard-line going in, we're starting the next series on the back on the 30-yard-line going out).

The book (both FED and NCAA) says not to do this, but it's an accepted practice for both levels (check local listings, of course). NFL officials do this all the time too.
We had this happen this weekend. Ball was on the 30 going in. 4th down pass incomplete. I happened to catch the other ball and spotted it so we were on the 30 going out.

Here's another radical thought: On a real flyer of a punt out of bounds, we always start on a 5-yard line (on fields with no yard marks in the middle). Why? It's just an educated guess anyway and we'll be no more than (at most) 2.5 yards off.

I've had the chains out a total of 2 times this year and both times were due to errors by the line judge on the game. Done right, the chains should stay on the sideline most of the time, where they belong.