View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 22, 2016, 10:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I didn't say they didn't need to be addressed. I said the SCBOA/SCHSL have never, ever paid as much attention to the quality we put on the floor versus all of this other stuff. Even at the "state-sanctioned camps," which only a small percentage of officials went to this past summer, were more about the clinicians pushing their own agendas and making money. Of course, you could say that's the typical camp business, but our governing bodies have never indicated a strong desire to actually make officiating better statewide like surrounding states have. Our system is a joke, but it's not going to keep me away from officiating...yet.
The only people that are going to make officiating better, are officials themselves, not some organization or entity on their own. Ultimately you have to look within and do what it takes and those veterans have to do their part to share their knowledge. And none of this is going to be resolved IMO by some memo or specific camp. I have never relied on my state to make me better. Because every thing you stated does not make you better ultimately. I do not see the NCAA for example doing special things to require their officials to do anything, but if you want to get hired you have to go to camps and be a student of the game as well as make contacts.

I understand your frustration, but not sure how that all lies onto the state if the officials do not put in the work and look in the mirror.

Peace