View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 19, 2016, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
So if she advances past 1B, is it correct that she's not actually legally advancing, and cannot be put out? Is the ball dead due to the IP, or alive because a batter-runner is permitted to advance after a walk?

NCAA rules might be silly sometimes, but they often have the "what-if" scenario covered. Unfortunately there are two applicable what if scenarios listed that may apply.

The calling umpire is to wait to suspend play until the non-contacted pitch has reached the plate, or the play has been completed.

10.8 Effect #1: if the batter reaches 1B safely, and any other runners advance, the play stands and the IP is cancelled. (BR in jeopardy of being put out.)

10.8 Effect #4: If ball four is an IP, the BR is awarded 1B, and any other runners are advanced one base. (BR not in jeopardy of being put out, ball is dead.)

I think the intent of the rule is that #4 applies here, and we kill it after the non-contacted pitch, even if the IP/ball 4 is a wild pitch. I might be wrong.
The ball is still live and IMO the runner is in jeopardy if she elects to proceed farther than the award associated with the BOB. Otherwise, the "dead ball" would restrict the offended team from any advantage possibly available.

I would like to think Effect #4 pertains to the award of the fourth ball as a result of the application of an IP, not the pitch itself.