View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 09, 2016, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Why would you prefer working 2-man for an extra $12.50?
Because I value my time, even though I think we are already underpaid.

Lets say you did 20 2 man games - That would mean for those 20 games you made $250 less. However you work an extra 5 games so you make $312.50 for those new games. Your net increase is $62.50. I calculate each game at 2 hours of work. So for those 10 hours your marginal hourly rate is $6.25, if that's fine with you then OK, it's not fine with me.

When I started in 3 man I would volunteer in summer games and some lower level HS games where the coaches were ok with it (3 veterans would essentially split a frosh/soph double header and work 3 man). So I put my work in.

I would also say that in general HS officials are "ok" as a group. Adding a third person to a game simply to add one when the average official is just "ok" isn't really adding much value to the game. Maybe its different where you are but if the schools can't afford to pay a fair rate for that third official then they should pay what they can afford for the best product, which would be 2-man.

It's not ideal, I do enjoy officiating, but I expect to get paid a reasonable amount. At the end of the year I would say financially I break even, which to me is A-OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
More members working, a happier constituency.
Unfortunately it's not my job to make sure everyone is happy. Heck in every association I have been in 90-95% of the guys think they are varsity officials. I also understand there are only so many slices of the pie and I am fine with it. If you want to work 40-50 HS games good for you, I'm happy with my 20 or so HS games and 10 or so college games. If I get more great, if I get a few less I'm fine with it. In the end this doesn't pay my bills.

If officiating is your primary source of income that's fine, but I know the hustle it takes between multiple sports for that to work. That's primarily not my concern.