View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 07, 2016, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
As a one-time (as in two fill-in games) official, can you explain this part? I know a backwards pass is always legal, but I don't understand how, after a R-touched kick recovery, a K-team could attempt a forward pass (incomplete) and still have possession have the end of the play. I don't own a recent rule book, so if you can explain it in layman's terms AND give a rule cite, I'd be appreciative.
You could look back 50 years in Fed rules (and even other codes) & come to the same conclusion. The old series of downs & distance is abrogated once the receiving team first-touches the ball on their side of the [expanded] neutral zone. Since there's no way to begin a new series in the middle of a down, the new series is going to open with the next snap. How could it be anything other than first down, and how could team possession be anything other than that of the most recent player's possession?

You could get back to something dependent on the previous down & distance if a penalty for a foul preceding the kick is accepted, but otherwise it's just history.