View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 06, 2016, 10:36am
TODO: creative title here

For what it's worth, I've seen nothing on this play other than the video Rut posted and the discussion here, so the rest of my post is under the assumption that no further information is available.

And I didn't notice the OH foul when I replied earlier.

I'm assuming that H didn't think that the Team B player stepped OOB before throwing the pass, which is why he continued to officiate.

Let's break it down:
1) Team A holding foul prior to the fumble.
2) Team A fumble at the 1-yard line (end of related run for holding foul).
3) Fumble goes from the field of play into the end zone (Team A impetus)
4) Fumble is recovered by Team B in the end zone, thus starting a new running play.
5) Team B illegal forward pass from end zone, which falls incomplete.
6) Incomplete pass is "recovered" by Team A in the end zone.

Scenario 1:
If replay comes in and says that the Team B player stepped OOB between #4 and #5, then the illegal forward pass never happened because the ball was dead.
Then, Team B can either decline the OH foul and take the result of the play (touchback), or accept the OH penalty enforcement and give the ball back to Team A. Obviously, they'll decline the penalty and take the ball.

Scenario 2:
If replay either doesn't get involved or determines that the Team B player threw the forward pass before stepping OOB:
The "recovery" by Team A in the end zone never happened, because the ball is dead as soon as the pass is incomplete.

Team B got the ball with clean hands, so they have the following options:
a) decline A's OH foul, and accept the penalty for the illegal forward pass, resulting in a safety (see my previous post)
b) offsetting fouls, replay the down.

Considering the score (Team B leading by 1), down/distance (1-Goal @ B-6), and time remaining (3:00ish in 4th), the choice isn't all that obvious for Team B.