View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 02, 2016, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I would suggest that instead of coming out in front of home plate to observe the catch with a runner on third, that you move to the holding zone between third and home.

This lets you at least observe the runner at third peripherally and have a chance at catching the tag up or not....

When you're working solo, you have to prioritize. Your first priority is catch/no catch, then the tag ups at third, second, and first, respectively. The closer a runner is to home, the higher priority they have. Once you have the catch and tag up at third, you can move into the infield as the runner on third should score easily on this play, the runner on second should make it to third, and the likely play could be on the runner going from first to second. Make sure you keep your head on a swivel to try to catch the runner touching home. Lots of stuff to be responsible for.

If you work in these priorities, and they bitch at you about missing a tag up at first, you are much more credible when you tell them you have to work in priorities and a tag up at first is not the highest priority with bases loaded and a caught fly ball.

Andy is spot on, ASA is just outright wrong and their one-umpire mechanics in some scenarios contradict the sensible mantra of keeping all the elements of the game in front of you. I've argued this point since the first video came out. I have seen too many calls missed because an umpire allowed running action to occur behind them. I have also seen umpire driven to the deck avoiding a thrown ball to make a play on a runner. Not only do they get dirty, possibly injured, but also make the call.

In the manual, ASA states to not let the players and coaches make the call for you, but IMO this is exactly what ASA did by placing the umpire in jeopardy instead of keeping all four elements in front of them.