View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 28, 2016, 10:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Water Color Memories ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Well Friday is a traditional high school sports night and Tuesday is the optimal day opposite Friday for providing adequate rest for the athletes while still having two games per week.
Agree.

Back when Title IX first kicked in and my local "boys" basketball officiating board started working girls games, the boys had Tuesday and Friday nights, and the girls had Monday and Thursday nights. Perfect for scheduling practices in schools with one gymnasium, and perfect for scheduling officials.

Eventually the girls, rightfully so, wanted a piece of the Friday night action. Friday nights are now big nights for both genders, and officials are in short supply on Friday nights (I did a junior varsity/varsity doubleheader one Friday night last season, doubling up is very rare in these parts, my only junior varsity game of the season). After Friday nights, there doesn't seem to be another "dominant" busy night. Saturday nights, which used to be a "dead" night for high school basketball, are now just as busy as any non-Friday night.

Years ago our local board would schedule our monthly meetings on Wednesday nights, with only few officials excused from the meeting due to assigned games. Now, there are many games played on Wednesdays, and we now have to schedule these meetings on Sunday mornings, much to the dismay of those of us that would like attend religious services with our families.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Aug 29, 2016 at 06:08am.