View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 24, 2016, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I read ASA 7.1-C(2) and NFHS 7-5-3-b, stating they may leave the on-deck circle to direct runners advancing to home plate, as permission to be there, and acting in the same function as a base coach. And, like a base coach, they cannot interfere.
Yet 8.7.O provides a specific exception from interference by a coach. No such exemptions exist for an ODB

Quote:
But that permission to 1) be on the field, 2) leave the on-deck circle, and 3) perform an approved function tells me two things, at least:

A) Unlike the ASA case play referenced above, this person is somewhere they are permitted to be; not someone required to be in the dugout but affecting live ball play, and

B) How/why would we reference a blocked ball rule that applies to offensive items NOT permitted in live ball territory?
Well, that is not what the ASA rule states. A ball is blocked if it touches a person not engaged in the game. IMO, that is an active participant such as defensive player in the field, a runner, a batter-runner, a batter and the umpires. It does not include any person not required to be on in playable territory which includes coaches, ODB, bat person, ball person, bullpen occupants (if in playable territory), media, etc.

Quote:
Absent a case play, or a specific rule citation I do not believe this is a dead ball scenario; the ODB has permission to be there, doing exactly what the ODB was doing, did nothing to interfere, did not interfere, and did nothing intentional to be considered even an attempt to interfere with the opportunity to make an out (or play). Acting in an approved (base coach) function, the offense shouldn't be penalized for the misplay by the defense.

That's my opinion, anyway; and I don't see a clear rule cite that contradicts.
For those not participating in the game, there are specific allowances for coaches and media personnel should the accidentally be contacted by a live ball. There are no such exception for the others I have noted. If they were considered "engaged" with the game, why is there a need for a specific rule to cover these exceptions?

And, like Steve, that is my opinion and I don't see a clear rule cite that contradicts.