View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 24, 2016, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Actually, the ODB does not have approved functions. The rule (7.1.C) simply permits the ODB to leave the circle, it provides no additional protection and the ODB still cannot interfere with the defense attempting to make an out.

I agree, it doesn't seem to be INT. However, the ODB is not a player engaged in the game and meets the definition of a blocked ball.
I read ASA 7.1-C(2) and NFHS 7-5-3-b, stating they may leave the on-deck circle to direct runners advancing to home plate, as permission to be there, and acting in the same function as a base coach. And, like a base coach, they cannot interfere.

But that permission to 1) be on the field, 2) leave the on-deck circle, and 3) perform an approved function tells me two things, at least:

A) Unlike the ASA case play referenced above, this person is somewhere they are permitted to be; not someone required to be in the dugout but affecting live ball play, and

B) How/why would we reference a blocked ball rule that applies to offensive items NOT permitted in live ball territory?

Absent a case play, or a specific rule citation, I do not believe this is a dead ball scenario; the ODB has permission to be there, doing exactly what the ODB was doing, did nothing to interfere, did not interfere, and did nothing intentional to be considered even an attempt to interfere with the opportunity to make an out (or play). Acting in an approved (base coach) function, the offense shouldn't be penalized for the misplay by the defense.

That's my opinion, anyway; and I don't see a clear rule cite that contradicts.