Thread: Rookie
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 01:09pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
The young adult who had done 6 of the lat 7 years LL showed up 5 minutes before game time in grey shorts and was doing his first time at the R position. The other gentleman appeared to have a few years under his belt and struggled helping the R with his duties, the chain crew and helping this rookie. And too boot the score keeper was new and was stopping the clock too much. And we had a tiny basketball score clock in the endzone which was difficult to see.
Sounds pretty typical for that level, unfortunately.

Quote:
It is very challenging for me to not raise my hand when a play is dead. And when to kill the clock and when to let it run. You would think that would be simple but it so different then basketball and lax its going to be a challenge.
To make it even worse, raising your hand when the ball is dead is the mechanic at the NCAA and NFL levels (in other words, basically every game you see on TV). But they're doing it to start the 40-second play clock. (And, to be honest, I see a fair amount of high school officials around here doing it also).

Quote:
Freshman game they were really good at only have 4 backs. Youth they had a wing back and had 5 many times and I couldnt pull the trigger because that wing back was kinda close to the line so do I see him as a back or lineman...
If in doubt, they're lined up legally.

Quote:
Counting 7 on the line... do I need to move a little to have the angle to count that? Was challenging.
Counting players is something that gets a lot easier with experience... you'll learn to count them by groups.

Is your R counting Team A players? If he is, he should be signaling his count. So, the easiest way to do it is look for the R's signal, and then count 4 players in the backfield.

Quote:
If a d-lines head is in the neutral zone is that my call...
Yes, because you (and the other line-of-scrimmage official on the other sideline) are the only one who can see it. Also, remember that in FED football, defensive offside is a dead-ball foul, so you'll want to shut the play down just before the snap if you can, or right after the snap if you have to.

Quote:
I think I saw for sure 2 pushes in the back the entire day.. didnt call either.
You will.

Quote:
Never saw a clip. Saw a facemask...
Fairly typical... since blocks below the waist are almost completely illegal in FED rules, very few coaches teach cut blocking anymore. Facemask fouls are usually the result of inadvertently grabbing the mask.