Thread: Rookie
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

The rookie is back to report about his first day as a football linesman.

The young adult who had done 6 of the lat 7 years LL showed up 5 minutes before game time in grey shorts and was doing his first time at the R position. The other gentleman appeared to have a few years under his belt and struggled helping the R with his duties, the chain crew and helping this rookie. And too boot the score keeper was new and was stopping the clock too much. And we had a tiny basketball score clock in the endzone which was difficult to see.

I learned a lot. Had a blast and have more questions then answers.

It is very challenging for me to not raise my hand when a play is dead. And when to kill the clock and when to let it run. You would think that would be simple but it so different then basketball and lax its going to be a challenge.

Freshman game they were really good at only have 4 backs. Youth they had a wing back and had 5 many times and I couldnt pull the trigger because that wing back was kinda close to the line so do I see him as a back or lineman...

Counting 7 on the line... do I need to move a little to have the angle to count that? Was challenging.

If a d-lines head is in the neutral zone is that my call...

I think I saw for sure 2 pushes in the back the entire day.. didnt call either. Never saw a clip. Saw a facemask...

Ive got to get used to defining what is illegal and legal. And how to cover WR vs Running backs.

Over all it was a great experience and I shall be back soon with questions to help me improve.

Thanks for everything.