View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 21, 2016, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrt1 View Post
In the rare situation where it bounced in such a way that it pretty much took a 90 degree angle and went over some of the white base before touching the orange base, I would call this fair because of the definition of Fair Ball, line B "Bounds over or past first or third base, which is in fair territory, regardless of where the ball hits after going over the base."

That is what most of you are saying and that's they way i was taught and interpret the book and definition of Fair Ball and how i would call it.

But Rich Ives makes a point that in 8.7.N.2 it plainly states "A batted ball hitting or bounding over the contrasting color portion is foul." That line is the source of the controversy. Although if the ball went over the white base it should be called fair; that line in 8.7.N.2. does not allow for that situation. it simply says the ball is foul when it touches the contrasting color base.

I would still call it fair.
This is the question I was trying to ask when Irish called me out for sounding like Coach BS. Thanks for spelling it out more clearly than I could. Rule 1 (Fair Ball) is not at all consistent with 8.7.N.2. Example:

Fair ball all day long if the orange bag is not in use, right? Does 8.7.N.2 have precedence over Rule 1?

Last edited by teebob21; Sun Aug 21, 2016 at 09:18pm. Reason: wurds