View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 15, 2016, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
In the past I think I would have agreed with you, however, I think there are some changes coming. Let's not forget that certain agencies, like the Department of Justice, have been going after crooked international sporting agencies when it impacts the United States. I don't think the political stance of the United States impacts the IOC itself, but lets not forget that the IOC is made up of representatives from a lot of different countries. Depending on the leadership of the United States, pressures within certain countries could be swayed to vote either for or against another country. For example, I don't see Russia voting in favor of the United States hosting the 2024 Olympics because the United States and Russia have a very strained relationship (getting worse even in sports now).
I don't think the IOC really cares about the US justice system and is arrogant enough to continue their ways. Nor do I believe Russia has that much weight and isn't necessarily in good standing with the IOC after all the doping issues this year.

Quote:
NBC has already agreed to a contract extension through the 2032 Olympics for exclusive American broadcast rights to the Olympics.
I've always, and probably will continue to believe that these types of contracts and the obscene amount offered for these games is part of the problem with the IOC. Also, IMO, the Olympics have been going downhill since they not only allowed, but actually recruit professionals to take part.