View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 15, 2016, 04:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
I agree that far too often the effort to add generalized clarifying language creates more additional questions than it does answers. I submit the focus, and concentration, should be directed more at a thorough understanding of "possession" (NFHS:2-34-1 & 2) and the requirements of a "Catch"
(NFHS : 2-4).

"Perform a second act" seems extraordinarily ambiguous, subject to never ending interpretation and dispute, where as assessing and judging "possession", maintained while in contact with the ground in-bounds is finite, after which whatever happens, happens. (continues to advance, stopped, fumble, TD, OOB, etc)
It is no different than the usage of "common to the game" that is used for years. The NF to me has always been behind the times in how they give interpretations or even set up standards that are almost never covered directly by rules. Because what is actual possession when other aspects of the game take place? Now again if the NF does not want to be more clear, then state organizations will set the standard. Honestly, if you do not work in Ohio, you can do whatever you wish. But for the rest of us, we will use some standard that is not always illustrated in the rulebook. I will use the "holding" foul that is called in my area when it has a POA element or so obvious it cannot be ignored and that is not something you will see in the current rulebook.

Peace