View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 15, 2016, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Considering the IOC's record, I don't believe the political atmosphere is even a slight consideration. As long as the host promises a shitload of money and makes the backroom accommodations to the members, they are in. Remember, a good part of such consideration would probably depend upon an obscene bid for television rights.
In the past I think I would have agreed with you, however, I think there are some changes coming. Let's not forget that certain agencies, like the Department of Justice, have been going after crooked international sporting agencies when it impacts the United States. I don't think the political stance of the United States impacts the IOC itself, but lets not forget that the IOC is made up of representatives from a lot of different countries. Depending on the leadership of the United States, pressures within certain countries could be swayed to vote either for or against another country. For example, I don't see Russia voting in favor of the United States hosting the 2024 Olympics because the United States and Russia have a very strained relationship (getting worse even in sports now).

NBC has already agreed to a contract extension through the 2032 Olympics for exclusive American broadcast rights to the Olympics.