View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Red face No insult intented

Last entry;

I will stand by my statement. I have seen "some" teams that would "embarrass" what I have seen on the LL World Series. Does that mean all, no way; I'm not that stupid. I've seen "some" teams who couldn't beat any of them on a consistent basis; hey, my son's team would probably be a .500 team at best. And I will say; remember that what we are seeing on TV are the hand picked, best players in the entire league, the "ALL STARS". I'd say that that would usually be equal to any "normal" single team playing in other leagues and tournaments.

We have participated in the "Wood Bat Classic" here in Atlanta. We have seen that the teams that have participated in that tournament and won the tournament have, 8 out of 10 times, been non-LL All Star teams. Is that because of how the teams are constructed, the style of play, or where the kids are from, I can't truly say? I can say that when we played, there weren't any powerhouse teams built from pulling in kids from all over Atlanta. Most of those teams don't play in tournaments like that. I've had other coaches say it is the more aggressive style of play taught in the AABC/USSSA leagues as to why those teams seem to win more often; is that why, I don't know, am I an expert, not even close just an assistant coach and parent! Maybe it could be worth looking into or just a total waste of computer time. I will say that the Little League All Star, Dixie Youth All Star, Pony League All Star and American Legion All Star teams WE HAVE PLAYED OR WATCHED play haven't been tournament winners either, good teams, but not great. For a playing rules comparison; the only such team, an American Legion All Star team, we played in a tournament was a 14 year-old team, we were 13 year-olds at the time. They were using the tournament to prepare for the post season and while it was a good close game, we did win. Does that mean anything, probably not.

I close by restating; I'd like to see some of the other tournaments televised so I can see those stacked teams go at it rather that just beating up on teams like my son's. That way I can see how good our team really is.

Go Thunder

http://tyronethunder.home.att.net/
If you'd like to see what we are up to or would like to play a game sometime.

P.S. Remember a Cobb County team from the Atl. area, won the LLWS a few years back. Also the team from Alabama that won it just a year or so back, they were in the tournament I was mentioning earlier and came in third out of eight.