Thread: Paternity leave
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 09, 2016, 08:58am
TODO: creative title here

Talk to your wife as soon as possible, get a sense of what she's thinking at this point. Communicate that to you assigner.

Have the conversation again in a month or so. Communicate the results of that conversation to your assigner.

Repeat at regular intervals between now and January.

I lucked out in that my son was born over the summer, so all I did immediately was dropped summer youth baseball from my schedule... no real loss there. But, had it been during the football/basketball season... I would've taken at least the first two weeks off, because I would've been too tired to effectively work a game, if nothing else.

In time since my son's birth, we've basically settled on a 'two games a week' schedule. Which means Friday / Saturday during football season (with the understanding that Sunday is "Mrs. jTheUmp does whatever she wants" day). Basketball season is usually Tuesday/Friday, and baseball season is usually Monday/Wednesday (typically the busiest days of the week for my assigner)..

Oh, and your child's birthday is going to be a blocked date on your officiating calendar for the next 18 years.