View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 07, 2016, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

I am in frustrated agreement with Prekowski's assessment of how a lot of umpires call good low pitches illegal. I too play and umpire.

It was a real eye opener to see the 6' pitch with a measuring device. Several of us tried to pitch at exactly the 6' height and found pitch speed is definitely ciritical to executing this pitch using the mat as a "zone".

It's really funny with players. They will complain about every 6 footer being too low but they'll not complain about the 12 and 13' pitches that consistently are not called. I find the higher pitches harder to hit than the lower pitches....but if you want to hit the lower pitches you have to be ready for one....higher pitches give you some decision time on whether to swing or not.

I haven't called many games with a real "zone" in slowpitch but when I did I enjoyed it more that a "mat zone" assignment. Like FP, you have to stay in the game.

It all comes down to a "physical" demonstration and a consistent UIC/Assignor to make sure his/her umpires call heights correctly.