View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 06, 2016, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
We get a lot of guys that play USSSA and ASA and when they pitch ASA, they'll try to get away with a lot of low pitches if you dont enforce the limit.
Enforcing the limit is all I ask for, but when you have umpires consistently calling a 6 to 7.5 ft pitch illegal, that to me is incompetence. Like I say a mistake in judgment here and there on a 6 to perhaps 6.33 ft pitch is going to happen, and no human can be faulted for that.

I will admit, that as a slow pitch hitter in my approximate first 35 years of playing slow pitch, I too would believe a 6 ft to 6.5 ft pitch was too low. But after becoming an umpire an umpire 4 years ago (taking a year off of playing), and a pitcher in the last year, and studying in the field the actual height of a 6 to 6.5 ft pitch, I have had a rude awakening that pitches that are pitched at near the 6 ft limit have to be at or above it unless it is pitched at and obviously excessive speed. You will note when I say first 35 years of playing, that I started playing at approximately 20 years old, so you can do the math to figure out my age.