View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 16, 2016, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I'm thinking your 2nd thought is more likely how I would have ruled. It seems they leave it completely up to you as to whether to call the out or not, but the judgement hinges on whether the contact could have been avoided, and I think the situation you describe doesn't really include the kind of contact (getting tagged on the leg) that one would normally want to punish.
I think the biggest issue we have in the league is the rules bolded portion is the only portion people read (including myself until the other day). This is why there was no objection to the call of her being out. In fact, on that play the coach even asked me if she was just out for the play or was ejected. Apparently some umpires being used by the league were ejecting players for not sliding on a close play. I almost started to laugh when he asked if she was ejected because I couldn't fathom any way, shape or form where she would be ejected on that play. I told him I had enough of a problem with calling her out (which actually was not the correct call the way the rule is worded, when you read the entire rule).