View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 05, 2016, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Case play reference or not?

The rule to my understanding says you shoot the FTs in the order they took place. I have never read anything that suggests you do not administer a T any differently because you have a shooting foul or other foul. Actually you would not have other fouls in almost every case because a T would make the play dead and unless the later action is intentional or flagrant in nature (contact wise). So unless I see a case play on this or interpretation from somewhere, I am not buying that you ignore the one of the biggest parts of the technical administration and not give the ball to the offended team at the division line. Because if you shoot the FTs after the Ts, you are administering that with a POI action which is not what the rule says at the NF level for any T.

Peace
The language is that penalties should be administered in the order in which the fouls occurred. 8.6.2 B and c gives us that language. as do plays in 4.19, 5.6.2 h. 6.4.1 f. The plays themselves aren't really relevant. Here the T happened first. penalize it first pursuant to the language quoted above. Then penalize the next foul. The only language is "penalize fouls in order they occurred." There is no language saying penalize the T last even though it happened first. (which is what we would be doing if we also gave A the ball back at the division line.)

In NCAA if there are multiple technicals during a dead ball and one is contact dead ball it is penalized last (even if it happened first). also, if there's a double foul in NCAA and one is flagrant play is resumed as if the flagrant is the only foul.