View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 28, 2016, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashemt View Post
I see this in youth ball all the time. It is hard to coach, because of the habits the kids develop using good, open-handed blocking technique.
Which is 1 more little reason I teach shoulder blocking -- though not to the exclusion of hands blocking.

Quote:
Here's the rule: (NFHS 2.3.9) Interlocked blocking occurs when one player grasps or encircles a teammate just prior to or while blocking an opponent

1) The kids tend to grab the blocker they lock shoulders with. Shirt pulls = interlocked blocking. You will have to work hard with them on this.
I've seen various bits of advice to avoid that. Some coaches say to make a fist with the hand on the teammate's back, because you can't grab a shirt if your hand's already a fist. Other coaches advocate a chicken wing, the hand grabbing the player's own shirt. Because I coach a lower wedge than most -- shoulder into butt -- I coach to dangle that hand, and that it can be used to bear walk with because it'll be close to the ground and the player will tend to fall; that hand should be in a fist anyway, so as not to get the fingers stepped on.

Quote:
2) Chop block: Kids tend to lunge. If a blocker is engaged high, or low given a legal FBZ low block at the snap, and a second blocker engages, you risk a greater penalty. High-high OK, low-low OK in the FBZ, High-low = bad ju-ju. (NFHS 2-3-8, 9-3-6; 15 yards from basic spot foul)
Which team's players are more likely to do that, A or B?

Quote:
3) Aiding the runner: Wedge blocking teams tend to "stack the runner" The problem comes when the runner breaks the wedge with either his blocker or the fake on his back.

(NFHS 9-1) An offensive player shall not push, pull, or lift the runner to assist his forward progress
This is why the wedge is now potentially more effective by NCAA rules than Fed's.