View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 28, 2016, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Three things to consider...

I see this in youth ball all the time. It is hard to coach, because of the habits the kids develop using good, open-handed blocking technique.

Here's the rule: (NFHS 2.3.9) Interlocked blocking occurs when one player grasps or encircles a teammate just prior to or while blocking an opponent

1) The kids tend to grab the blocker they lock shoulders with. Shirt pulls = interlocked blocking. You will have to work hard with them on this.

2) Chop block: Kids tend to lunge. If a blocker is engaged high, or low given a legal FBZ low block at the snap, and a second blocker engages, you risk a greater penalty. High-high OK, low-low OK in the FBZ, High-low = bad ju-ju. (NFHS 2-3-8, 9-3-6; 15 yards from basic spot foul)

3) Aiding the runner: Wedge blocking teams tend to "stack the runner" The problem comes when the runner breaks the wedge with either his blocker or the fake on his back.

(NFHS 9-1) An offensive player shall not push, pull, or lift the runner to assist his forward progress

When I see wedge teams, these are the areas I focus upon. I also tend to see more holding on the edges, from the "lookout block" as tackles and ends get beat. On the defensive side of the line, we see blocks below the waist and clips mostly. Blocks below the waist are legal in the FBZ, until it dissolves. The wedge has the longest FBZ eligible time, typically, because it is usually a direct or close long snap, and the ball does not leave the zone.

New POE and rule change, clipping is illegal in all instances in 2016 (No reference yet, we still don't have the new books).