View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 24, 2016, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
As we know HSM have been outlawed by professional umpire groups at AA and below. Umpires have been grandfathered in at the two upper professional levels.
While it wouldn't surprise me in the least if there was an unofficial ban, an actual, written one would be. Is this true?

Quote:
Studies have show that head injuries are more prevalent an are more serious when wearing HSM.
O rly? Where would we find these studies? I'm not buying it.

Quote:
Another negative that comes from umpires wearing HSM is their argument that the mask does NOT have to be removed when an umpire rotates up to make a call on the bases. Stupid argument.
That is a stupid argument. I've never heard it made.

Quote:
HOWEVER, if an umpire works in a location (often) where there is an over hang netting (fencing) then the "trade off" for the potential injury aspect becomes less important.
Not getting indepth on what I believe is the faulty premise of this "tradeoff", I can attest to the utility of an HSM on short/overhanging backstops. Now I'm not strictly an HSM guy - I actually use the mask mostly on large fields. But when the mood strikes me, I'll use an HSM - and ALWAYS on short/overhanging backstops. Twice, I've been hit in the back of the head from rebounding balls. The first time a few years ago, it wasn't much of a hit. But this year, a ball must have hit a support post or something, because it came back pretty hard. It was startling even with the full helmet. Without it? Not good.

So IF you go HSM do not spare expense. Go for the nest product available.

Tee[/QUOTE]