View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 20, 2016, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
I think the example of avoiding a 5 second count was just that, an example of when a coach might call time out during a throw-in. It is probably the most common situation in which a coach calls a time out during a thrown in, and one they felt people reading the release would best understand.

The release went on to explain that one of the primary reasons for eliminating coaches calling for time out during a live ball was to get rid of coaches frantically calling for timeout during a loose ball situation hoping to be granted a timeout as soon as possession was gained by one of his players. In retrospect, I think they realized that there aren't many loose ball situations prior to a player releasing the ball on a throw-in and thus no need for the rule to apply to this situation.

Maybe coaches lobbied for the change exclusively for the purpose of being able to intercede to avoid 5 second violations, but I don't think it was because anyone thought players can't count to five.