View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 20, 2016, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
To which I say: what is the penalty?

4-3-e says the DP may play defense, and that person has not left the game.

The definition of substitute is " . . left the game"

4-6-a is about reporting substitutions.

Doesn't need to be reported because this isn't a substitution.
Additionally,
4-1-a does say that " . . The line up shall contain . . . defensive positions . . "; however there is allowance to correct (without penalty) the other aspects of the line up card, such as name, number, and the list of substitutes.

Ergo,: what is the penalty?

I will only mark it down (ASA/NFHS) if the DP is catching or pitching, because this now is part of CR's. And in discussion this weekend (training a new umpire with the line up card), there isn't a name for the person only hitting and not the DP (ASA/NFHS). The infamous "TDP" was said, to which I immediately squashed, because the hitting only person could be confused as the DP and the flex could be used offensively for the wrong person.

NCAA is a must report, because there is a penalty for having an inaccurate line up card (including defensive positions). Plus, NCAA now has the OP (offensive player).
Thanks again, I will retrain my lineup card brain.
BTW, I use BP (bench player) when I note a non-DP batting only player, open to anything better.
Agree, it only matters for CR.

The issue arose because a coach took the F5 out of the game, moved F7 to F5, F4 to F7; had not used a sub, but still had an F4. Took about 6 - 7 questions and 5 minutes before he said the DP had already been in the game as F4 and the new F4 was the previous "BP". Generally confused coach, so that's why I gave it so much attention.