View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 13, 2016, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

"correcting" a partner

Wondering how you guys would have handled this. 2nd inning of a ridiculously long 16 C game (teams were a stretch to be called C, and the first inning took 53 minutes). Team who is up to bat by a large amount of runs is batting. I'm field ump in C. Batter receives another ball four and she goes to 1st, forcing the runner at 1st to 2nd. Then, the offensive coach comes out and starts talking to my partner. After a moment, I see my partner raise his right arm as if calling an out and the girl on first walks back to the dugout. I think he has called her out for batting out of order (but I can't hear anything with the wind whipping around, and he's not looking in my direction). At this point these things went through my mind...

- The offensive coach cannot appeal batting out of order.
- If he did call her out, he's called the wrong player out.
- If it was batting out of order, then the runner on 2nd needs to return.
- Is this a place I need to interject myself?

I chose to say nothing. As stated, the offensive was up by at least 15. If this was a closer game played by better teams I think I would have needed to be involved. After the game I tried to explain to my partner that the situation needed to be handled differently, but he only kept saying "are you sure? I thought it was supposed to be...".

So what say you? Would you have stepped in?