View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 11, 2016, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
As promised, here is what happened:

The umpires did not allow my run because they felt the scorekeeper's "ball game" announcement over the speaker put the defense at a disadvantage and without that they would have been able to put me out at second base (because the 2nd out had already been made there and all the second baseman would have had to do was hold the ball and wait for me to get there). After touching home, I started yelling (not at anyone, just increased volume to be heard over the noise of the defensive team's celebration and their crowd yelling/laughing at me) that nobody called dead ball so my run counts. I asked the FU who was walking toward our dugout (1st base side) to leave if either of them had called dead ball or ball game, and if so why didn't they call it louder so I didn't waste my effort running the bases. His response was "I was just admiring your dedication". I just responded, "I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it wasn't a complete waste", but it was everything I could do not to go nuts on him for that comment. I grabbed my gear and left because I wasn't about to become the guy that makes it on YouTube over a church league softball game (that and the umpire in me knows that behavior would reflect negatively on me as an umpire).

From this point I'm adding secondhand information I found out after the fact from a couple of guys on the team. The umpires went up to the scorekeeper's booth to discuss the situation, and since that is where the supervisor's office is my teammates also went up to see if they could protest. Obviously given the fact that everyone had left the field and several involved people had already started leaving the complex (myself and most of other team), protesting wasn't an option. The umpires acknowledged that neither of them called dead ball but said their hands were tied because of the scorekeeper's announcement. According to my teammates, the supervisor openly scolded the scorekeeper and told her that her announcements should be limited to the inning at the start of each half inning. He took the umpires into his office, but before the door was shut he was heard telling the umpires that they get paid to be in control of the game and the scorekeeper's announcements don't dictate anything.