View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 04, 2016, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

How Would You Handle This as U1?

District championship game today - I was assigned to work as U1, with one of the area association "trainers" as U2.

Late in the game he's in C with runners at 2nd and 3rd. The batting team are the visitors and up 9-1 in the top of the 5th inning - so these two runs are crucial. The defense decides to give the next batter an intentional walk. First pitch comes in no problem: ball one. The next pitch is where the "fun" begins. F1 never even comes close to bringing her hands together. I call "illegal pitch" as she's delivering - giving the delayed dead ball signal. The pitch ends up right down the middle and the batter crushes the ball between two outfielders. It rolls all the way to the fence.

As the fielders are chasing down the ball and the runners all getting as much as they can, my U2 is running into the infield with his hands up yelling "wait, wait, that's an Illegal pitch, illegal pitch, Stop, Stop!!" The coach in the box at third is yelling back at him that it's a delayed dead ball and telling his players to keep running. The U2 yells back, "it's dead!"

So, when all the dust cleared and the play ended, the BR ended up on third and the two other runners crossed the plate. After then telling the coach to "zip his lip" he came to me to ask what I had.

Besides deciding to never attend a training session from that "trainer", what would you do with the runners? I'll wait for a few responses before I tell you how this all worked out.