View Single Post
Old Fri May 27, 2016, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Differing thought, although the same conclusion.

At 0:05, and repeated at 0:08, her foot displaces the base of the fence prior to taking off; and at least some part of her foot, if not all, is beyond the base of the fence, which in NFHS and NCAA is the dead ball line. Of course, instant replay has no standing, and I'm not convinced that the foot was completely in dead ball territory with these angles.

That said, the approved ruling in NFHS and NCAA is that when one foot is in and one foot is out, the defender reestablishes "in" by lifting the foot that was "out"; she only needs to step back in to reestablish "in" if both feet were out.

There's not enough here to survive any effort to call it "no catch", even if it were subject to MLB-style review.
+1 What Steve said. Great catch, good hustle by the U3. In real time, this is an out.

Although if I am in the MLB-style review booth, assuming TV quality cameras, I also think she (technically) last established position in dead ball territory at 0:10. There is no way to expect an umpire to see that though. This is an out on the field: jumping from live ball to dead ball and making a play is still a legal catch and carry.