Thread: 2 Out Decision
View Single Post
Old Fri May 20, 2016, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
This is a bit tricky. If it was clear that the runner reacted to the actions of the umpire, and the umpire was wrong, we have a jeopardy situation. If the runner simply left the field because the defense thought it was two outs, but there was only 1 prior to the play, then that is on the runner and the offense for not knowing the situation.

I agree with those who say the offense needs to know the situation, and question the number of outs, when it is incorrectly stated by the umpire. Given that I only do JV ball, I am likely to say that the mistake was on my / our part and put the runners back where they belong in most instances I can see with the OP listed.
My response to this is simple. If the umpire told the teams that "that was three outs", then we have an issue because his actions caused the offensive players to exit the field. If the umpire was asked previously the number of outs and incorrectly stated them, that's on the team for not questioning it and the out for abandonment stands.

As an umpire, if I make a mistake, I will "fall on my sword" and make sure correct decision is male. With that said, I will not help a team out when they aren't helping themselves.