View Single Post
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I usually do one great HS camp every summer -- it's one that includes room/food/air conditioning and also great clinicians, many of whom are college officials and all of whom are state HS officials. I take a few things with me from that camp every year.

But I can honestly say I've never had any real interest in being a college official, and this is year 30 of officiating coming up. This doesn't make me worse or better -- just who I am. Driving 4+ hours (ever) in the winter to work a game in a mostly empty gym for < $200 is just not appealing to me. And where I live, there are few colleges within that 1-2 hour driving distance I'd be interested in even if I was offered a spot on a college staff.

I've wondered why I haven't had the bug sometimes. Part of the reason is that I really like working my 50-60 HS games nearby. I also work 2 other sports and am a commissioner / assigner of a HS conference that will soon have 24 teams. I'm also a husband and father and a 10U softball coach. You know, other things in life. I did work college baseball for over 10 years and college football for 3 and I've given both of those up (voluntarily) as well.

I can't imagine going to a camp like this unless I had real aspirations of being a college official, but I know a lot of HS officials who think I'm silly for spending $375 on a HS camp. They're wrong, of course -- I am much better because of my years going to that camp, which I enjoy mainly because there's no illusion of being hired to work college, which tends to bring about all sorts of attitudes and behaviors that disgust me -- both from campers and from clinicians. Just a lot of learning from people who know what they're talking about.
Rich,

Great post...you are a true asset to our avocation and in particular hs basketball. I wish more hs officials took your approach. Simply stated if your not going to camp and getting better then you are getting worse. Too many officials today feel as though they aren't going anywhere so why should they go to camp. But they will walk up and down the court and work 20 AAU games this weekend and think they are good. You are making an investment to better yourself and Im sure your assigner and partners are grateful. Keep up the professionalism and your passion for excellence !!!!