View Single Post
Old Mon May 16, 2016, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
This weekend...

With R1 on 3B, had F1 & F2 walking together back into the circle, chatting it up (time out was not requested).

If R1 decided to break for home while they were halfway to the circle, and they got the out, I'd've had no problem... good play, dumb move runner.

If R1 stepped off the base once they were in the circle, and DC immediately went nuts wanting an out (which is what I was expecting), he'd be out of luck. I wouldn't have let that happen.

Long story short, R1 didn't move. My partner behind the plate advised F2 (when she returned) to ask for time next time. I didn't hear her reply...
Who had the ball at this time, F1 or F2. If F1 has the ball, you have an out. The look back rule does not require the pitcher to be paying attention to what is going on, only to be in possession of the ball. IIRC there is a casebook play in which the pitcher has the ball in the circle, removes her glove and places it between her knees, with the ball inside the glove while she fixes her hair. The runners leaves the base while this is happening. In NFHS this is a LBR violation and an out. She still possessed the ball even if not in a normal fashion.

Under ASA rules I think it is a little different, as I think ASA requires the ball to be securely possessed in the hand or glove. Holding the glove in a "non-normal" position is not considered possession.