View Single Post
Old Sat May 14, 2016, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I assign. When someone gets off a game and I get "the feeling", I email a bunch of the other local assigners and ask if they've assigned the person to a game. I've caught 2 or 3 out like that over the last 2 years.

But the best one was when a guy dumped one of my games (cause he had something important come up) and showed up on the news highlights working another game, which I caught while at the bar after working a game myself. That person hasn't worked a game for me since.
I had a swimming official (one of the sports I assign), who called me the day of a meet saying he had a family commitment come up and was unable to work his meet that evening (luckily I was able to cover it myself, as it was a rare day off). This guy was already going to be on my off list anyway due to complaints about and personal observations of his officiating. What he didn't tell me was that his commitment was going to the Red Wings game that night. After my game I went home and caught the second and third periods of the game. What a shock it was to see him (with his kids) shown on the TV screen when they showed fans in the stands. He was correct, it was a family commitment, it's just one I would not say is an excuse to get out of officiating.