View Single Post
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
To answer the original question, think of the strike zone as a 3-dimensional space (not a plane), which eliminates the front edge of the plate idea. This 3-dimensional space is bounded on the sides by the edges of the plate, and on the top and bottom depending on the batter (I'll give everyone credit for knowing the limits of the top and bottom). Regardless of where the batter stands, that 3-dimensional space is fixed based on where the plate is. If the ball passes through any part of that space, even if it drops into it at the very back edge of the space, it is a strike.

Progressing from there, the theme of any strike zone discussion, IMO, should be consistency in all situations. Ideally, the only aspects of the strike zone that should ever change during a game are the top and bottom limits as influenced by the batter. The location of the batter in the box shouldn't change the zone. Realistically, I'm not opposed to a strike zone that gets a little bigger if both pitchers are struggling to find it, but I believe this should happen very early in the game and then remain that way even if a more capable pitcher enters the game. I'm not a fan of having textbook defined zone in the first 3 innings and then expanding it if a pitcher starts to struggle at that point. The reason I try to be a stickler for consistency is that I think people forget that the strike zone impacts 2 players at a time. Changing the strike zone later in the game and based on the performance of the pitcher puts the batter in a tough situation.