View Single Post
Old Fri May 06, 2016, 11:11am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueplate View Post
Then if trickery is allowed,what if....

R1 on 3rd R2 on 1st..

Shortstop is playing almost behind pitcher.. Ball is pitched out to batter..R2 is going on the pitch..catcher comes up firing but does not release the ball..SS tags R2..R2 thinking she was tagged stops...R1 believing there was a throw heads to home where she is tagged by the catcher who then throws to 1st who then tags R2.

Deceitful play..NFHS says you cannot fag a tag. So this deceitful play is not allowed. NFHS rules do not mention that other deceitful plays are legal.

It does state,however, that any deceitful play or any play that is not in the spirit of fair play is unsportsmanlike conduct. Don't see how you could rule any other way. If the hidden ball trick is not a deceitful play...then what would you call it???

What about in football the old fumble-rooski..?????

Blue Plate:

1) I do not officiate football (but I use to officiate futbol, ), but I do believe that the fumble-rooski play in NFHS Football is not illegal. I am sure that if you asked on the Football Forum, someone will answer your inquiry.

2) Faking a tag is obstruction and is not not covered under the provisions of unsportsmanlike conduct.

3) The hidden ball play is nothing more than a trick play used to fool an opposing runner. Nothing unsportsmanlike about it.

But let me ask you another question: Do you officiate soccer? I ask because my experience with soccer officials is that only they possibly would consider the OP and the hidden ball play deceitful and unsportsmanlike conduct.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio