View Single Post
Old Sun May 01, 2016, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrt1 View Post
I tend to call more No Pitches than most because of line B. The 1st response I get form the DC is "her feet are in the box". It takes more than her feet in the box. The ASA rule is below. The "off-balance" part is important. If the batter is not ready, pitcher can't pitch. if batter is taken too long it is my responsibility to address that issue, not let pitcher chuck it in. And batter or umpire do not have to ask for time. It is pitcher's requirement to wait.

Only once have i had to warn about unsportsmanlike conduct because pitcher continued to quick pitch. Other times it pretty much stops have I ask them to allow the batter to get ready. (I was doing a 12U travel game last year and after I called a No-Pitch, the coach came to me between innings and asked if that was a local rule for the safety of 12U kids. She said she coaches college and they don't have that rule. I told her I had the NCAA rule book on my phone and I could show her where they have the exact same requirement!)

Rule 6

SECTION 10 – NO PITCH
No pitch shall be declared.
A. When the pitcher pitches during the suspension of play
B. When the pitcher attempts a quick return of the ball before the batter has taken a position in the batter’s box or when the batter is off balance.
(also lines C, D & E)

Effect – Section 10A-E: dead ball. All subsequent action on that pitch is cancelled.
That's great for ASA, but am I missing something in the HS rules? This was a HS JV game, so NFHS rules were in play. Is there a specific rule reference I missed in the NFHS rules regarding this?