View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
As an official, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an assignor to let you know where you stand. I think that that's what the OP is asking for. Granted, how you go about trying to get that information is important, but it's not an unreasonable expectation.
There is a difference in telling you where you stand and ranking you specifically up against someone else or the group. And if they tell you what they think about you, will you accept the information?

We have a rating system that is statewide that we know what our percentile numbers are listed at. So if you are in the 90 percentile, you are as high as you can go in theory in your ratings. There are people in my state that complain they are not higher and often try to compare themselves against others that they feel they are "better" than. So if they are "better," then they think they should get "better" games an opportunities. Usually this is just about acceptance, not whether it is reality or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
But some responsibility falls on the assignor as well. If an official approaches the assignor asking what he needs to do to improve his schedule, I don't think that's too much to ask. Granted, it may be hard for the official to hear the brutal truth, but if someone really wants to move up, they'll take it to heart and do what's asked.
I know that sounds wonderful, but if you go to a job interview and the company or interviewer tells you that they have 50 candidates and we will call you if you get a second interview or if we hire you, then they don't call or hire you, what is that telling you? That means that they did not pick you over others that were available for the position. They are not going to come back and tell you why they choose other people. At most they might send you a letter thanking you for your time, but they are not going to get into the details. Why as officials do we expect more than any other aspect of life? Also the assignor is telling you what they think of you really by giving you the assignments. So if you want to work varsity and you are only getting JV games, that is your answer.

Peace