View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Aboselli wrote in a different thread:
"That's what I hate about youth football. You'll have the coaches yelling, and the parents yelling - and the kids will be standing next to you rolling their eyes in embarrassment because they know that the behavior of the 'grown ups' is inappropriate. They want to play some football and go get some ice cream - it's not some life or death struggle to them...

Here is what I did to help combat the problem...

For the past 6 years, I participated in a youth coaches clinic talking about the new rules and taking questions. Every year I end my talk about sportsmanship and what we, the youth football officials, will do about it.

This does two things, first, it shows that we are out there for the kids and love of the game. I am willing to take 2 hours of my time and talk to the coaches, listen to last year's gripes, and tell them how things will be run once the officials take charge of the game.

Second, it really builds up a relationship with the coaches and working together we can help control the parents that get out of line. I set up an email address so they can gripe during the year and I answer them too.

I tell the coaches, in the youth leagues we are lucky to get an official to come back a second year so the guys on the field are mostly rookies and sometimes the officiating reflects the inexperience. In the past few years, the sportsmanship of the league has greatly improved and more experienced officials are coming out again to work the games.

If you do not have a forum to talk with the coaches get one... it has really helped.

HAve a great season.

David
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0kkni/footballvideo/