View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 25, 2016, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Coach brings rules book on field - NCAA

So a couple weeks ago, I worked a Junior College game in which there was a protest. That may be a topic for another thread, but not this one.

A couple innings after the protest, the head coach (dissatisfied with our rules interpretation) came out between innings with the rules book in hand wanting to talk about it again.

I shut him down immediately. I have no idea what his question this time around was going to be, because I never actually heard him over my own voice.

"Coach, it's not up for discussion....Coach, I'm not talking about it...Go, $Coach_First_Name....$Coach_First_Name, in the dugout, or you're gonna have to go." At that, he finally left. (Irrelevant addendum: I worked some games for his team this week, and he still wanted to rehash it during the pregame "Hi, Coach, we're here" conversation. Also, he never filed the paperwork with the conference for an actual protest review.)

Game management question: Was talking him down and giving him all the rope I could the correct response for bringing the rulebook on-field at this level?