View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 19, 2016, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
But to apply the same deal with a base umpire hears the contact, and the plate umpire somehow knows the contact he didn't see or hear was over fair territory?? It better be one of those cases where the only person in the park that doesn't know it was touched over fair is the plate umpire before you change that one. I mean, REALLY obvious to everyone that the change is "getting it right", because you may well have to eat a lot of crap and/or eject a coach over the overturn.
This was exactly the case for my partner and me a number of years ago - everybody at the field, both coaches, everybody - except P heard the line shot tick off the glove of F5 in fair territory. We scored the runner from second base and placed the b-r on second base. (The ball had deflected down the left field line into foul territory.) Very little grief as I recall, and everyone stayed in the game.

The following spring, I gave the situation to Merle Butler at our state ASA clinic, and he said it was probably the best we could do with a difficult situation.