View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 17, 2016, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
*What players wear (jersey, pants) = Uniform (NF 3-4).

*What players wear (other than jerseys, pants) = Player Equipment (NF 3-5).

*Backboard = Part of the court and its equipment (NF Rule 1).

*Dribble = Ball movement caused by a player in control who bats (intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)) or pushes the ball to the floor once or several times. It is not a part of a dribble when the ball touches a player's own backboard. (NF 4-15-1)

*NF Case Book Play 4.15.1 SITUATION C:
A1 attempts a pass to A2 during pressing action in A's backcourt. The ball hits B's backboard and deflects directly back to A1 who catches the ball and: (a) passes the ball to A2; or (b) starts a dribble.
RULING: The pass against B's backboard was the start of a dribble which ended when A1 caught the ball. In (a), the pass is legal action. In (b), it is a violation for a second dribble. (4-4-5; 9-5)

I'm far from perfect when it comes to some of my posts but it took me all of five minutes to find these in the rule book. It actually took longer to post them.
He's talking about A1 throwing ball off his backboard..not Bs. 9.5 says it is legal...not double dribble etc. what he was/is contending is the offensive player who throws ball (clearly not a try) off his own backboard, cannot take steps to retrieve the ball. He can throw it off his backboard (not a dribble cause his equipment) but if takes steps to get it-travel. I contend that 9.5 is broader than that and allows steps before ball caught. That is the play that is seen..albeit rarely.
Now the rules don't really support the case play but it is there.