View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 17, 2016, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider25 View Post
I have been a baseball fan for a long time as I am 68 and I understand new rule safety but I see double standards all over these rules now a runner has too slide certain distance from 2nd to protect the fielder but yet the fielder still can throw at the runners head ,and then a runner has to stay in the basepath on a run to 1st. but he can run 10 feet outside the basepath on his way home. and a pitcher still throws at a batter to retaliate and he get warned but are they going to make a new rule every time there is an injury. what about the pitchers mound before they lowered it you never heard of tommy john surgery . open your eyes mlb and leave the game alone .
Highlighted part is not true. Being out of it can cause a runner to interfere on a throw to first but other than that he is free to go anywhere he pleases. The runner's lane has been there since 1882. It isn't new.

You never heard of TJ surgery because it hadn't been invented. It has enabled pitchers to continue. I don't think lowering the mound contributed. Many pitchers in the old days were "sore arm" or "dead arm" pitchers who would have had had it fixed and had much better careers had it been available.

Other medical advances have benefited players as well - and the populace as a whole. My new knee and various stents tell me I don't want to turn back that clock.

BTW - I'm 71 in case you think I'm some young whippersnapper mouthing off.