View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Missing the sordid Details

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Lyle
The game was delayed for about 20 minutes while this cluster boink was sorted out. Obviously, with a mess like this they did not get back to playing ball right away. According to my son, the other teams coach was ejected for insisting on protesting the game. This makes no sense to me but my son may not have all the facts so don't hang your hat on it...
You can't protest a judgment call but rather than waste 20 minutes I'd likely tell the coach that, sign his book anyway, and move on. No reason if the umpires had the game under control that we needed to wait 20 minutes to resume.

Quote:
The situation happened in the 6th inning. For the rest of the 10 inning game, the other teams parents rode the umpires unmercifully. Gee, what a surprise. It had been a quiet game up until that point.
If the coach doesn’t understand the rule fat chance that the fans do.

Quote:
Since I also umpire and these umpires are part of our association, I'm sure that I'll learn more about what happened later on.
Remember no fair telling your son trade secrets.

Quote:
Finally, after reading Bfairs message, the following info may have a bearing on the problem. My son told me that the pitcher and the BR had been dating the same girl. The pitcher had plunked the BR in the first inning. My son does not know whether the BR deliberately went after the pitcher but that was the rumor at last nights game which my sons team got to play in by virtue of winning the game in question.
Now we get to the bottom of the matter. Sounds as if we didn't have obstruction after all but could have ejected the batter-runner...And all this over a girl! Sheezzz Jim/NYC