View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Missing Details

When I told you of the situation, I was sitting at the game with my laptop. The field was in a wi-fi hot spot so I could ask my question right after the situation unfolded. After the game I got some more details from my son. My son was on the team that benefited from the call so we thought it was a great call. I was unsure of all of the reasoning so that's why I fired off a quick message. I knew you guys would come through.

First, the pitcher did not get ejected. He immediately left the game and the park to go to the emergency room to have his hand x-rayed. It turned out that he was hurt in the collison with the BR, although from the stands it did not look like a violent collision at all. He had a splint on his pitching hand last night.

The game was delayed for about 20 minutes while this cluster boink was sorted out. Obviously, with a mess like this they did not get back to playing ball right away. According to my son, the other teams coach was ejected for insisting on protesting the game. This makes no sense to me but my son may not have all the facts so don't hang your hat on it.

The situation happened in the 6th inning. For the rest of the 10 inning game, the other teams parents rode the umpires unmercifully. Gee, what a surprise. It had been a quiet game up until that point.

Since I also umpire and these umpires are part of our association, I'm sure that I'll learn more about what happened later on.

Finally, after reading Bfairs message, the following info may have a bearing on the problem. My son told me that the pitcher and the BR had been dating the same girl. The pitcher had plunked the BR in the first inning. My son does not know whether the BR deliberately went after the pitcher but that was the rumor at last nights game which my sons team got to play in by virtue of winning the game in question.